Monday 31 December 2012

Painful End To The Year




A vet check today brought more sadness. Riley's lump has grown and has changed in form, it's now more nobly which is cause for concern. Further to that he's running quite a temperature which maybe explains his lack of appetite the last couple of days. This is all very confusing, we have been told today that though the needle biopsy showed no cancer cells, there is no guarantee that this is not cancer. I can't make much sense of it myself, and as I said the vets are stumped. This lump is a mystery to them and definitely affects a lymph gland, but indications are that other lymph glands seem unaffected. They are still unsure if a kidney is affected or what else it could be attached to. After much discussion on the best cause of action we all agreed to see how he goes on another week of medication, if there is no change for the better then they will open him up next week to see what is going on and if there's anything that can be done. We have been told to be prepared as cancers in young animals are usually more aggressive and at the moment the prognosis for Riley appears poor. Following all the heartache this year I can't, try as I do, I just can't stay positive. Maybe it's a way of safe guarding myself. Prepare for the worst, anything else will be a blessing.