Sunday 9 December 2012

Do You Remember Simba?



















Simba - 10.1.96 - 8.12.08
I didn't forget to write this yesterday, he was on my mind for most of the day, but I had to concentrate on the living. At that time it was more important ...
My Ear's broke!
Simba was Nikki's son out of the first litter to Arko Vom Hunhnegrab. He was sold to a family locally and for the first couple of years I guess I thought everything was OK. With lots of kids about Simba seemed to be thriving, but next doors dog was causing him major problems. In an unrelated incident, to be honest I'm not really sure what happened but Simba ended up biting the postman. Along with his owners we took Simba to visit an amazing dog trainer who at the time lived in the area. Les Edwards was THE BEST dog trainer I've ever met. Dogs became putty in his hands and they did mostly anything he wanted! Within Minutes he discovered that Simba was not being walked and being treated like one of the kids in the house. He told the owners you must treat him like a dog, he must have his own space, his own bed and lots more exercise. Unfortunately this didn't happen and Simba was seen tied on a chain in the garden day in day out. I heard second hand that he bit a couple more people and one day when his chain snapped he half killed the dog next door ... the same dog that had been running along the wall barking at him for the past 12 months. That day I had a call from them and got in the car and went to collect Simba and bought him back to Blanik!
On The Mountain
Simba apparently hated men, Steve never found it to be so with him and quickly built a strong bond with the dog. He must have had some puppy memories of me as our bond was instant. He was obedient and fun loving but HATED the postman. For us easily solved .. a post box was fitted on the outside gate. Simba bit once more, a month after I had him back I was walking him in the dark off lead on an industrial estate. A man came out between two lorries, Simba went for him instantly ripping the man sleeve. Being a GSD owner the man was great about it, I would never be so careless again.
I worked hard on Simba and was so proud after just a few months of ring craft to be able to stand him in a ring and let a male judge go over him ... all done with food and trust. (and he wasn't last either) Carrie and I then walked him around the agricultural show, I was never complacent, but he didn't put a foot wrong.
Quite The Old Man
Simba did hate other male dogs, especially Jay and his litter brother Dexi. And he hated small dogs, I could accept that and always had him under control around them at training classes. He learnt to accept the cats, love the bitches, was super with litters of pups and could always be trusted off lead on the mountain.
Following a hematoma later in life one of his ears was tipped. It gave him a funny appearance, but we never laughed at him! (To his face anyway!)
 Simba just three when he returned here and was almost 13 when he died. It had been our intention to rehome him, we never did, here he was safe and happy. Here we gave him all we could ... and he taught us some valuable lessons. RIP Dear Simba. You Have Been Loved!